The video below is Benjamin Morgan’s introduction to Crisis Communication planning. Use this video and the Generic Logo Co. template to get you started. Get stuck? We can help!
Click on the image below to download a fictitious crisis communication plan: Generic Logo Co. Crisis Communication Plan. You may use this as an example or template to work from while creating your own crisis communication plan.
- National Research Council. Improving Risk Communication. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press; 1989.
- Slovic P. “Perception of Risk.” Science. 1987;236: pages 280-285.
- Covello, V., R. Peters, J.Wojtecki, and R. Hyde. “Risk Communication, the West Nile Virus Epidemic, and Bio-terrorism: Responding to the Communication Challenges Posed by the Intentional or Unintentional Release of a Pathogen in an Urban Setting.” Journal of Urban Health. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 2001: 78(2)(June): pages 382-391.
- Covello VT and Sandman PM. “Risk communication: Evolution and revolution.” In: Wolbarst A, ed. Solutions to an Environment in Peril. Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University Press; 2001:pages 164-178.
Dr. Covello Resources
- Effective Media Communication during Public Health Emergencies – A WHO Field Guide (PDF)
- Risk Communication Workbook (PDF)
The workbook presented in the pdf file above was prepared by ASTHO with the support of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The National Center of Environmental Health, the National Center of Infectious Diseases with guidance provided by ASHTO members and other public health officials who participated in the focus groups who helped determine the direction of the project.
Much of the material presented in this document has been sourced from workshops presented by Dr. Vincent T. Covello, Director of the Center for Risk Communication, New York, N.Y. Additional materials have been provided by the staff of the Center for Risk Communication. Dr. Covello has allowed the Centre for Risk Management to post this document on its website to promote the understanding of the science of risk communication and to the development of this workbook.
- Communicating in a Crisis: Risk Communications Guidelines for Public Officials (PDF)
- Considerations in Risk Communication: A Digest of Risk Communication as a Risk Management Tool (PPT)
- Risk Communications Presentation (PPT)
- Integrated Risk Management Process Presentation (PPT)
- Communicating in a Crisis (PPT)
- Dr. Vincent T. Covello Risk Presentation (PPT)
- Risk Communication and the Job Interview (PDF)